Wednesday, October 23, 2013

2 months out

what the parks look like, here, cement with exercise machines, come on mexico, give a kid a slippery slide!

more pics of the area




Sent:Mon Oct 21 10:41:00 UTC 2013
Subject: City Life

Hello everybody, and family all over the world! Well I have officially made it two months. . feels like longer. haha This past week has been pretty good, SO much walking. haha Elder Hernandez walks at about a million miles per hour so that doesn't make it any better. I have a pretty good blister on my left foot. We still continue to teach a lot of less active members, with a few investigators in there.

So last Wednesday I think it was we woke up and Elder Hernandez told us we had to be at the offices pretty early in the morning, Elder H is kind of an airhead and couldn't remember when or why he heard this so I thought he was making it up so I didn't eat breakfast or anything and we headed off, I was thinking we were gonna just turn around and come right back, which wouldn't be the first time. They ended up taking all us new missionaries into the city to do more things for our permanent visas for most of the day. We had to ride about 5 metros, subways, to get where we were going, the nice part of town. Ah the nice part of town. I really feel more like I'm in New York when I'm there. But we did all of our visa jazz and came back and by this time I was starving and we went to Hermana Natys house for lunch, and oh how it didn't satisfy my hunger. It was the worst thing so far. It was enchiladas, but nothing like the enchiladas I know. It was just soggy tortillas in a nasty liquidy sauce with awful feet cheese on top. Awesome. Elder Hernandez left half of his food, and hes Mexican so that says somethin right there. haha. 

This last weekend we had exchanges. So for Friday night and Saturday I was with Elder Gillis, our district leader. There are 4 of us in our district, which are really the only other missionaries I ever see, sometimes those in our zone. So I packed my bag and went to his area for the night. It was so nice to be with someone who speaks English. haha. White boys unite. So on Saturday we went to lunch with a member lady in his area, and we found out her dog died the last night. They live on the 5th floor of a building and it fell of the stairs from the top and was killed. Not a very happy lunch. It was happy for us because she gave us steak and potatoes, but not for her. haha 

It has been raining a lot here, only in the evenings, but it feels so good when it does. All the Mexicans are freezing and always asking me if I am cold in my short sleeved shirt and as I am sweating I say to them I can assure you that I am definitely not. 

I really like Sundays here, probably my favorite days, Arturo was confirmed yesterday which was cool, Elder Hernandezs phone went of in the middle of the confirmation which was awkward. Last night we went to find an investigator but she wasn't home but her neighbor lady who answered the front gate was having a huge birthday party and invited us in and gave us horchata, and some sort of raw fish salsa on these crispy tortilla things. OH my so good. Our investigator came home, so we taught her, which was interesting. Her house is one room, probably 8 feet by 8 feet with no lights. Our only light was a candle in the corner, so we couldn't really see anything. Felt like I was in the times of old. haha.This lady use to be a nun so she was asking all these questions that I couldn't understand or answer with my Spanish, so Elder H did most of it. haha what else is new. 

So today has been a good day as well we ate the most amazing things for lunch, tortas, probably my favorite thing so far, probably because they are pretty American, it was pretty much just a panini with chicken, ham, pineapple, cheese, avocado, tomato, and some amazing chipotle goodness. We walked to Walmart which is a pretty good walk, in another area so I could buy some food that the stores in my area don't have, mainly peanut butter. haha. 

The Spanish is still very slowly coming, I am still struggling a lot with it. It is so hard to understand, but I seem to be picking it up a little more rapidly now which is good. 

So Mom you think highlands is bad when every time you knock on a door a dog barks? haha it is awful here. Every single house has 2 dogs 3 cats a parrot and an iguana I swear, SO many animals, its disgusting 98 percent of the time. 

I found out that the Mexico City temple is going to close in January until may of 2015, they are completely renovating it, and are going to rededicate it right before I come home. We should go this December before it closes.

Sounds like all the world travels are going good! Hope everything goes good, and I look forward to hearing about Britt and Trev's experience in Cambodia, as well as the honeymoon in PCDR. And Mom and Dad hope you continue to have fun in rainy England. 

Happy Birthday Brittany and Brandi this Sunday!! Love you both, hope you have an awesome day!

So I saw this quote in the mission offices the other day from Christ, I never said it would be easy, I just said it would be worth it. I certainly know the first part of this is true. haha, but I know all the struggles are gonna be worth it. 

Mother, some things to add to the packages list. Mainly Nutella and Peanut Butter. haha I can buy them here but they are so expensive and I could live of them both. I want a water bottle like the nalgene ones with the screw off top, I want more pictures of the fam and everyone!, sticky notes, granola bars, Archer farms trail mix, and chocolate, that you are gonna buy for me in England. haha jk. oh and also did Cathy's letter ever come?

Everything is good, and it sounds like everything is for you guys too, love you all, good to hear from you, happy travels, talk to you next week. 

Love, Elder Elgan

No comments:

Post a Comment