Monday, November 11, 2013

First 6 days. . weeks? What. . seriously?

Here are some pics of the main road I live in, 
and my doors from the street. 



Buenos Tardes!

Another great week has come and gone here in the ever so lovely Mexico city. It was a really good week, and now I have officially been here for 6 weeks! First transfer done. I am staying with Elder Hernandez which was a surprise, we both thought for sure he was gone, by the end of this next transfer he is going to have over 7 and a half months in Carrera alone. haha so long. The next transfers are on Christmas eve but I heard they might either have them the week before or after, hopefully after so there isn't a risk of me moving and not knowing the members for Christmas skyping and what not. But I cant believe these first 6 weeks are over, they went so fast. Probably the hardest 6 weeks of my entire life for many reasons, but definitely the most rewarding. 6 more weeks and I won't be a trainee anymore. yay. So an elder in my zone was talking to me the other day and was like, we are going to have 102 weeks in our mission so if you just pretend like that's 100 weeks, then every week is 1 percent of the Mish. That makes it seem like so much shorter. haha.

The teaching is going really good here, one thing that is frustrating, however, is that we have so many golden investigators, but everyone lives together and is not married so they cant be baptized. ahh Its just another hurdle that is a pain to deal with especially when they have kids. Oh well all else with the people is good. The Spanish is really finally starting to kick in. I can really understand most everything now, probably 90 percent, but I have to focus pretty good. Sometimes I find myself day dreaming when people are talking to us because it takes so much effort to listen and understand. haha. Now the difficulty is just being able to say everything I want to. It is definitely something that is just going to come with time. We did have a lesson yesterday, we taught the restoration and I taught most of it, and I could say everything I needed to, it was my first taste of what it would be like to be fluent. haha. feels nice. one day. . . . The other day I gave a blessing to the little boy, Alejandro, of the Eldas, and Elder H gave one to the little girl Zoe (sounds like soy). I was mad at myself after because I gave it in English, when I probably could have done it in Spanish.


So last Friday Elder Hollander went home, so we had to take Elder Gillis in and we have been a trio since Friday. It is really nice to have someone to really help me with the Spanish, and someone that I can actually just talk to normally. haha. He taught me some good slang things that are good to know for the streets, because when the crazies come to you, you want to sound like you know whats going on, and your not scared of him my taking in formal Spanish, which is all missionaries are supposed to use. Elder Gillis is from Canada so our trio represented all 3 countries of N. America. haha. We didn't really have room for him in our house, but it was good anyway, we had to get creative, his chair was a bucket with a cutting board on it.

We had conference this weekend of our zone and stake. Elder Gonzolez of the 70 talked to us all Saturday and Sunday, as well as our mission president and his wife. Both days were all about how members and missionaries need to work together! My struggles here exactly. haha, just what our ward needed to hear. Good stuff

So we have an investigator named Guadalupe (the lady with the tiny house with no lights). She used to be a nun, and is crazy she thinks if it isn't in the bible, then it isn't doctrine. She is so difficult to teach because she gets off track so easy which is such a distraction. After 4 visits we finally got through the restoration and I was really thinking there is just no way with her. But then in this last visit she asked Do you guys believe in Angels? We said yes why? and she said because when I close my eyes I see two angels sitting in front of me. My whole perspective changed on her after that. haha.

I don't know what my problem is here but I seem to get so attached to people here, the Elders especially. haha its weird because with Elder Hollander going home and Elder Gillis is getting transferred, I was so sad about it. I don't even know why, haha.

The food this week, I had one awful thing. Chicarrone. Don't know if that's how you spell it. It is just fried pig skin, which is half decent if it is just in the fried form but we had it in an awful soup thing so it was just soggy greasy nasty pig skin. Probably the most unhealthy thing I've ever eaten, at least it felt that way. haha. One of our lunch appointments this week fell through so she said buy whatever and I will reimburse you. So we went to the grocery store right next to our house and I bought some microwave pizzas and pepsi. Not bad. All other food was good, we ate some tortas today that were really good at the temple.

So. . if possible it is really just so great if you guys can send real letters, typed or whatever, even if you email them as well. Letters take just under 2 weeks to get to me. You can also dear elder, but tell me if you do so I can watch for them. Because I want to have the hard copies of letters that i can read at home, because when they are only email I only get to read them once, then never see them again. But email is still good too. I was reading all the letters from the MTC when we had some down time today and I love reading them, over and over again.

You guys had such a crazy week!! That party looked SO fun! I´ve always wanted to have one of those!  The costumes looked hilarious, such a good time. Sounds like Josh and Kayla's house is coming along, I am excited to see pictures!

Mother, to answer your questions, most everything we drink is from the members but the water I drink at home is from big filtered water jugs that we buy for 12 pesos. I have a filtered water bottle that the MTC gives you, but I don't ever use it. But this is why I wanted the normal one. So we have one meal a day with members at 2. We eat breakfast in the mornings, which for me is usually cereal, oatmeal, bananas, yogurt, granola bars.  Then we just eat when we come in for the night after planning around 9:30. 

It was so great to hear from you all Thanks for the letters Mom, Julie, Nichole, Brandi love them! Especially love the pics, I want you guys to send me hard copies of them all! haha.

Love you all!
Elder Elgan







No comments:

Post a Comment